Sunday, December 28, 2014

Journal Entry: Day 4

Today we put on the lighter color in Tere's room. We chose a two-color design, where the walls are lighter green and some inset rectangles on her wall are darker. We had to paint around this mural that their daughter's Godfather painted for them. It is a very neat mural. The light color will need a second coat, I think.Thursday we'll plan to talk to her kids, in general and about school, which should be fun. Today I found that I was trying to say things in Spanish, but took too long so didn't say anything. I'll try to be faster and if I can't think fast I'll just use English.

Lunch was deliciious. Tostadas with beans and chicken! I used the tostadas like chips. Next, we went to Central Park and walked through it. I thought we were near Julliard, so I split off from my group to go meet my friend Josh. I started walking only to realize I was on the completely wrong side of the park. But, after some walking and a couple of subway rides, I was at Julliard. Josh and I ate dinner with Josh's friend Bob. Bob is 24 and is a working violinist. It was shocking to hear a professional musician's income prospects, and Josh, being a cellist, was not too visibly excited. Bob is a really funny guy. I was really tired when I started hanging out with Josh, and by the end of the night I was happy to be going back to the monastery. The plan was to meet up with my cousin, Alex, but it didn't work out. It's OK, because I will see him next week at Christmastime.

I feel independent using the subway, and it appears that I am capable of navigating only when I'm alone. I think when I am with a group, there are "too many cooks in the kitchen," so to speak, and we all end up making us doubt each other. Manhattan and where we are in Brooklyn also seem safer than parts of Clifton. I can walk at night without much concern.

With luck, we will finish painting tomorrow. I think we can do it.

We have an event called "Convivio" tomorrow. It translates to "Living With/Together." Several Mexican families should be in attendance. It will take place in a church basement in Brooklyn. It should be really fun. I need to come up with questions to ask the families who attend.
Oh, and last night Gerardo said something interesting: the first generation immigrants make the biggest sacrifices for their kids and future generations. This was true of the immigrants coming through Ellis Island, and it is still true of those who immigrate from the South. This gave me some perspective on the gravity of the decision to immigrate, because the first generation certainly does not have it easy.

Mural in Tere's room
Central Park

No comments:

Post a Comment